Labels

8.17.2008

Storms...

When I was a little girl, I spent the night at my grandparents house. That night I went to bed snuggled in tightly with my aunt. At some point in the night, a storm reared up and sent a TV antenna crashing through the bedroom window into the room where my aunt and I slept. I remember laying frozen as the wind and rain howled in the room like a beast finally free... The curtains snapping and the glass sparkling all around me... And then finally, the warmth and safety of my grandparents. But, I don't remember much more than that - just the lingering fear. Fear that the storm had eyes and would find me... (I'm shivering just thinking about it!)

Anyways - I've been thinking about the storms of life and suddenly recalled this memory. Sometimes, we know a storm is coming... we see all the signs and hear the forecasts. We prepare as best we can and then ride it out. But, other times, we're suddenly awakened and terrified... laying amidst broken glass and cold stinging rain drops.

I have endured storms in this life. For me, some have been huge and for you, those same storms would seem like a little sprinkle... But, for me they have been pretty life-changing. One of my storms has lasted for several years with no immediate end in sight. God continues to teach me how to tenaciously endure and how to learn to be content and thankful.

Ironically - He has recently brought a friend into my life enduring quite the opposite as me. A year and a half ago, I would have wanted to run in the opposite direction. Yet, now - I see her raw pain and I understand how our pain is very much the same. For once, I truly understand empathy and compassion - not just pity. And I am thankful for my storm.

No comments: