- i love mondays... they are our "sabbath" and we really try to protect them. they end up being days we try to get caught up on things we're behind on in all realms but work/ministry - ie. adoption stuff, house stuff, car maintenance, dog stuff, or sleep). i hate it how hard it is to tune everything else out in order to truly detach from ministry for 24 hours, but it's becoming more and more critical.
- got my blood sucked today... (bloodwork). for the adoption the government wants to make sure we're healthy and not doing drugs. other than that... we're gradually progressing and eagerly anticipating getting the 3rd homestudy meeting scheduled. shanna's been busy posting more on our adoption blog, and also getting everything up and running for the adoption fundraiser. we are so overwhelmed and grateful for those coming alongside us on this journey. it's been amazing and beautiful. btw... if you don't know what "longaberger" means... don't feel bad, you're in good company. when i first met shanna, i had many interesting ideas as to what this strange new vernacular was all about. but after 5 years of marriage to a 'longaberger' fan, basically it is just a brand of really nice baskets. :)
- had the opportunity to speak in "big church" yesterday on the topic of conflict in relationships. as i was preparing for it over the last few weeks, it was amazing how many personal illustrations i was able to quickly come up with. not sure exactly what that means... but i think we all know too well how painful relational conflict is and how difficult it is to resolve effectively. i had way more examples of conflict's ugliness than successful encounters with it.
- while shanna heads to pittsburgh this coming weekend for her sister's baby shower (she's also taking one of our mozambique team students with her...which is super cool), i'm flying out to chicago for the simply youth ministry conference with 3 other adults from our student ministry team. i'm so excited for this conference... i love the community and relational component of what this conference seems to bring, in addition to the lineup of speakers and workshops. really hoping to dive into some great youth ministry discussions, not just with our team, but with others in similar boats as us from all over the country.
- mozambique... we are so excited - last week we purchased our plane tickets for all 8 team members! God has been so good, and we are so blessed to be able to take students on this trip and be able to pace with them through all of the tensions, questions, and joys this trip will bring.
- succeed2010 - with each day i'm growing more and more excited about this super special event we're hosting at lakeshore this saturday. i'm bummed i won't be there for it, but i believe in what Youth Transition Network is doing, and i know it'll be a highly impactful time for all who can make it. basically, it's an event for juniors & seniors in high school and their parents to help prepare them for success as they take the big step from high school into college/young adulthood. the data is alarming at how few make that transition well... and how sadly so many pitch their faith in large part because they weren't prepared for the challenges ahead. this is one way we're hoping to help with that.
no real flow... just some random thoughts from life lately:
Posted by Cory at 10:10 PM