Labels

9.18.2009

am i my brother's keeper?

we were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. that was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. thousands of years ago the question was asked: 'am i my brother's keeper?' that question has never yet been answered in a way that is satisfactory to civilized society. yes, i am my brother's keeper. i am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality but by the higher duty i owe myself. what would you think of me if i were capable of seating myself at a table and gorging myself with food and saw about me the children of my fellow beings starving to death?

- eugene v. debs, usa union leader and social democrat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that quote. I believe that people that have more than enough have a moral obligation to help those who are less fortunate. It is imperative that we treat others the way we would wish to be treated.